Congratulations on your decision to pursue an international co-op! This is a two part application process. By clicking “Apply Now” you will create an International Co-op Application which will be reviewed by an International Co-op team member. If your application meets the preliminary requirements, you will be prompted to schedule a consultation meeting. After this consultation meeting is complete, if your application is approved, you will begin Part 2 of the application process where you will be able to apply to specific programs.
|Restrictions:||Drexel undergraduate students enrolled in a co-op program|
|Dates / Deadlines:
Academic Year below always refers to the start of each academic year. Fall is the first term in an academic year and it always starts in September of every year. Please refer to the start and end date listed below for appropriate application term. If you do not see the date range applicable to you, please contact the International Co-op Team. Click here for more co-op terms details.
|Min. GPA Requirement:||3.0||Eligible Major(s):||Biomedical Engineering, Business and Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering|
Mozambique Development in Motion (MDIM)Program Description:
Mozambique Development in Motion, Inc. shall partner with the people of Mozambique, helping them build self-sustaining communities. To accomplish this we will focus on three areas health, education, and assistance in developing self-sustaining economic enterprises. The corporation is organized as a nonprofit corporation under the Texas Nonprofit Corporation Act and as a tax exempt organization under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended.
Job Description and Required Skills
The position of Hospital/Healthcare Engineering Consultant Co-op will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- The hospital/health care engineering consultant will communicate with the hospital staff and administration to review existing project list to construct an outline of projects to be completed over the duration of the six-month coop. Depending on the student, jobs can range from equipment and facilities refurbishments to public health programs and surveys. The students will be expected to communicate regularly with the local staff and mentors, Director of CRH Hospital, CRH medical and clinical staff and US supporters.
- The student must be willing to work on new projects as they come up, and should understand the necessity to work in a team.
- Be responsible to and work closely with Amandio Fabio, MDiM Manager located in Chicuque, Mozambique on all aspects of the six-month coop.
- Solve (diagnose, test, repair) CRH and its referring hospitals clinical equipment and related systems malfunctions that may include machine vision, image processing and analysis, signal processing using various electrical voltages. Be able to effectively and to timely communicate with Frank Kepics anytime to solve problems with the understanding that CRH time is 6-8 hours ahead of US time.
- Study CRH equipment inventory completed by previous Drexel engineers and collaborate with the MDiM Health Committee and Frank Kepics of Drexel Biomedical Engineering department to preliminarily determine what can be repaired and identify/acquire parts that are to be purchased in the US and transported to CRH with the Drexel team.Prepare status report every other week (see format from previous Drexel team) in preparation for the MDiM/Frank K/ CRH/Drexel U team at CRH status call. Report is due two days prior to the call. Must obtain a clear Skype connection (video is preferred but is not a requirement).Prepare status report every other week (see format from previous Drexel team) in preparation for the MDiM/Frank K/ CRH/Drexel U team at CRH status call. Report is due two days prior to the call. Must obtain a clear Skype connection (video is preferred but is not a requirement).
- Keep CRH equipment inventory updated that will be passed on to next engineer coop team.
- Prepare status report every other week (see format from previous Drexel team) in preparation for the MDiM/Frank K/ CRH/Drexel U team at CRH status call. Report is due two days prior to the call. Must obtain a clear Skype connection (video is preferred but is not a requirement).Prepare status report every other week (see format from previous Drexel team) in preparation for the MDiM/Frank K/ CRH/Drexel U team at CRH status call. Report is due two days prior to the call. Must obtain a clear Skype connection (video is preferred but is not a requirement).
- Document preventative maintenance instructions, equipment standards and guidelines for regulatory agencies for selected equipment and teach CRH staff. Determine if these can be translated to Portuguese.
- Document patient care and administrative benefits of repaired equipment and systems providing updates on the biweekly status reports and blog.
- Successful completion of requied 6-8 week hospital indoctrination course at regional hospital biomedical departments before departure to CRH. This partial list of training will include electronic troubleshooting, soldering, fuse/circuit breaker repairs, and identification of proper output signals for medical equipment.
- Keep the blog updated and other duties as assigned
Required Job Skills: The job description and skills will be determined on a case-by-case basis, based on the student’s skills, experiences, and academic major.
- Leadership, ability to take initiative, ability to think outside the box, good listening skills, flexibility, adaptability and physical resiliency
- Technical communication and critical reasoning.
- Effective communication and teamwork.
- Ethical reasoning, behavior and professionalism codes of conduct.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member and with others seamlessly.
- Adapt to a substantially different culture.
- Engineering skills to technically solve and repair equipment/systems problems.
- Judgment to know limitations and when to ask for assistance.
- Trouble shooting medical equipment failures (this can be developed abroad), knowledge of basic hospital facility protocols and practices, electrical or mechanical technician repair skills, knowledge of or genuine interest in improving public health in rural areas.
Number of Positions: Two
GPA Requirement: Minimum 3.0 GPA
Compensation: Compensation Offered (for example, salary, food allowance, transportation): MDiM will provide a grant to cover expenses. Students, Drexel U staff and MDiM will create an expense budget to insure that MDiM will have funds available when needed.
Financial Award: Students will be considered for a financial award from the Steinbright Career Development Center once accepted and paperwork submitted.
Housing: Housing will be provided at no cost by CRH Director, Jeremias Franca for the six month term. Basic housing is provided in the Center of Hope building or alternative acceptable building. The Center of Hope contains four bedrooms with table and bed each. Rudimentary kitchen. Men's bathroom and women's bathroom.
Majors: Biomedical engineering, Business and Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Language Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or basic Portuguese or Italian strongly preferred
Visa Requirement: Mozambique requires a visa to enter the country. You will need to get a 6 month, single entry visa (in advance in New York). A letter of invitation would be recieved prior from the CRH Director, Jeremias Franca.